15 Temmuz 2020 Çarşamba

DRYING WALNUTS FOR STORAGE

DRYING WALNUTS FOR STORAGE 

I was instructed by the tree owners to spread the fresh walnuts out in a warm, dry, shaded place to cure for at least a month before using them. I've seen mixed recommendations online on how long to dry. I suppose it depends a lot on your conditions. 


The goal of drying walnuts for storage is to reduce the moisture within the nuts to prevent mold growth. When properly dried, the nuts inside should have a nice “snap” and not be rubbery. Öz Star Nuts roasting machines provide the best quality of salted peanuts, almonds, hazelnut.


OZ STAR MACHINERY COMPANY https://www.ozstarmakina.com/en

At this point, the walnuts should hold for up to three years in the shell in cool, dry conditions (if you don't eat them all first). So far I've stored my fresh walnuts for over two years at a time with no loss in quality.


 Sometimes, I spread my walnuts out on the mesh shelves of my greenhouse to dry. (I did find that the mice got a few of them when I used this option.) Once I have them spread on the shelves, I cover them with burlap to keep out the light. 


Because of the mouse risk, I usually dry my walnuts in trays in the finished basement or in the living room. I spread the walnuts out in shallow cardboard boxes, or in my black planting trays that I use for seed starting. 


Once the fresh walnuts are dry and cured, I store them in the shell. We keep ours in five gallon or one gallon buckets with lids. (Mice do love walnuts, so make sure any storage container you use is rodent proof.) Öz Star Nuts roasting machines provide the best quality of salted peanuts, almonds, hazelnut.


OZ STAR MACHINERY COMPANY https://www.ozstarmakina.com/en


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder